16 November 2007

Rawhide Vomit

Hey, bet that title caught your eye!

Yesterday I found a little pile of bile and tan rubber bits vomited by the back door. First, I have to give Miss Rox credit, she did try to make it outside. I was upstairs and didn't hear her bark or whine, but in fairness, if she had a tummy upset she probably thought calling me was low priority.

The bits in the pile confused me for a few hours. What? Did I paw thru her vomit pile? Of course! I'm a nurse and her mom. Anyhoo, the bits seemed odd; I couldn't figure out what she had eaten: a toy, something she found outside... what? A huge dilemma, and I was certain this had to be a medical/surgical emergency - but Roxie was doing fine! No tenderness, no whining, no pain. What could it be?!

About 8:30 at night I called the emergency vet clinic, and sure 'nuff! The tan rubber bits were pieces of the rawhide chew from last week!!!

We knew they weren't easily digestable, turns out they aren't digestable at all... sigh..... remember when I mentioned they are controversial? Well, this is the reason. Poor Baby Girl had those little bits in her tummy all week, the stomach acids turned the pieces into rubbery bits and turned them from off white to tan. ICK.........

So lucky for Rox we took it away after 30 minutes. Bad on us for giving it to her at all. Bad Mom!

Seems there is an alternative: Booda Bones. I'll try to find the website. They are completely digestable, and she loves them. They come in different flavors, which is great. I think we may have to limit her to 2-3 per month. We are working to get her weight down 3 pounds.

Oh dear, and I guess because I wasn't there when she needed me, she made me a little poop across the room behind the chair. She told me!

No comments: