23 May 2008

The Saga Continues

Rox is still having problems. We started her on Valium yesterday to see if that makes a difference. It's becoming obvious that this problem is not a temporary stiff neck or muscle pull.

I stopped by the doggie neurologist's office yesterday. It's a new facility near us, and also has a 24 hr vet ER. I wanted to get prices and find out what we might be in for, as Dr. Putt suggested the next move would be a referral to a neurologist.

Imagine my surprise when I walked in and the lobby was filled with dachshund art and statures. The vet I talked with about prices, etc had a Germanic accent. He and the receptionist were pleased to talk with me, very friendly. I mentioned the dachshund statue and they commented that they were 'dachshund city' there. As I mentally slapped myself on the forehead, it came to me. Of course they loved dachsies, they are one of the breeds most afflicted with neurology issues and disc problems. It's chicken or the egg time.

I left thinking many things: 1) it's going to be very expensive to have CT with contrast or MRI to diagnose problem, 2) they seemed very experienced in what Rox may have to go through, 3) they seemed very, very nice, and 4) I feel comfortable that Rox will be treated well there. I got the feeling they would love her like we do.

Other thoughts, in random order... if she has to have testing then surgery, it will be painful for her. I'm hoping and will insist on very adequate pain control. It breaks our heart to think we will have to put her through some painful surgery and won't be able to explain to her the reasons.

She's only 5 years old, so maybe this would be a one-time thing, she'd have the surgery, get better and never have problems again. We can afford the cost (sort of) and after crying over the cost issue, I just said, 'shit, shit, shit - no more worrying about this. We are going to do it if necessary, we're going to buck up and make the best of it'. (I tend to swear in a non-ladylike manner when stressed- not one of my most redeeming qualities. Sorry)

And so, how's she doing today? OK. Just ok. We have a vet appointment for follow-up at 4 pm today. The Valium seemed to help yesterday afternoon, but this morning she seemed tentative again. Mornings are hard. The 6 am Valium didn't seem to help as much as yesterday's dose.

We'll see. It doesn't help that this seems to be at least her second occurrence. We didn't know that she'd had a bad spell at home #3. Combined knowledge leads to speculation that this is more serious than we originally thought.

We have one more week on the tapering prednisilone, and enough Valium for 5 days total. More later, as it develops.

No comments: